Can I get a Mortgage or Refinance after filing for Bankruptcy?
There are lenders who will work with debtors on financing a mortgage or refinancing after filing Bankruptcy.
Below are some main points:
- Loans available 1 day after Bankruptcy discharge, foreclosure or short sale
- Debtor in Chapter 13 Bankruptcy can refinance after 1 year from the start of Bankruptcy filing
- FHA loans available 2 years after Chapter 7 Bankruptcy discharge
- Conventional financing available 4 years after Bankruptcy discharge
- Down payments and rates depend on when the Bankruptcy was filed
- No prepayment penalties so loans can be refinanced